Sunday, October 24, 2010

Behind an SUV

At one point as I was out and about today, I was stuck in traffic behind a massive SUV and I couldn't see a thing beyond it. I had no way of knowing how far the line of stopped cars extended, whether or not there was a traffic signal coming up or why things were slow in the first place. All I could do was follow. It's a frustrating feeling and I've done my share of complaining about these behemoths of the road that take away my ability to see ahead and prepare for what's coming.

As I moved slowly along, it occurred to me that what I was experiencing was a perfect metaphor for the spiritual life: We can't see beyond the present and the only way to survive is to keep our eyes on the leader. On the highway, it was the SUV; on the heavenly journey, it is God.

Jesus said "I go before you to prepare a place for you, so that where I am you might be also." Our task is follow Him closely so that we wind up in the proper room of the mansion that He was describing to His apostles. Jesus is the SUV ahead of us, tall enough to see over the tops of cars, with eyesight good enough to avoid the pot holes and with enough skill to navigate through the construction zones and traffic cones safely.

If we keep our eyes on His bumper and brake lights, then we can expect to reach our destination. It's not the way we might have planned the trip, but it's guaranteed to be the best way. His yoke is easy - His burden light - and His SUV has four wheel drive that takes the changing terrain like a champ.

No comments:

Post a Comment