Wednesday, July 14, 2010

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matt 6:21)

During the past week, my thoughts, if not my heart, have been on the "things" of Eleanor's apartment which must be cleared out by the end of the month. During our lives, we all put such store on the "things" of our existence, but in the end it is they who are left behind who make the choice as to their value.

The table that we carefully chose and cared for could be sold for $5 at a yard sale or wind up on display in a grandchild's home or be the cause of a family feud. Our most intimate belongings are open to inspection and speculation.

At the moment, the distribution of Eleanor's assets feels a bit like breaking and entering and I want to protect her from prying eyes - even mine. I remind myself that Eleanor isn't in her "things," just as she is no longer in the box of ashes on my dining room table. Her treasure was her faith and she used her "things" to make this life more pleasant for herself and those she loved. But that's hard to remember when "things" stir the heart and we treasure the memories.

3 comments:

  1. The things that remain seem so much less without her there. When she was here, the things were part of "her." Now they seem to be a shadow of what they were. Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw, that button seems to have my initials on it
    I was Ellen L. Fulton.
    This very week, my parents are again downsizing and going to assisted living, and asked me what I want--I want nothing but saying that seems harsh.
    It was for them, for their comfort, it doesn't need to be kept to make me appreciate them..

    ReplyDelete